Plan A for the day was a bust, but Plan B turned out pretty well, so it was OK ...
In the morning, I cleaned up the apartment and made scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast ... yum. My big plan was to rent a bicycle for the day (http://www.velopass.ch/fr/), a bicycle-rental service similar to the one in downtown Minneapolis and ride the “wine route” to the west of Morges. I had it all set – the post at the bike rental said I should go to the cafe near the train station and get a day pass for 6 CHF + 90 CHF deposit on credit card. I went there and said in my best (ahem, bad) French, “I would like a velopass for 1 day”, and I’m not sure what the guy said, but he talked very rapidly and didn’t sell me the pass even though I pulled out the proper amount of money. I’m not sure what happened, and unfortunately I’m lost in French if anything goes wrong. I can guess my way around written French and in a restaurant (there are only so many questions a waiter will ask), but after that, it goes downhill fast. So, I went back to the apartment to sulk for a while and then went for a walk.
Actually, the Plan B walk turned out to be a lot better than I expected. I went to the lakefront and walked west from the town. I quickly ran into "The Trail of the Trout", a nature trail partially sponsored by Medtronic, and decided to take it. It led me partially through river areas (public land?) and sometimes around people’s houses and fields. It felt like I was hiking at home, except sometimes the path wasn’t too obvious. At times, I would have liked having my hiking boots on instead of street shoes!
What's this? Beehives! I think I will take a picture and ... just ... keep ... going ...
After about 2 hours, I came to a town called St-Prex. Wouldn't you love to have this view?
My plan was to find the train station (and a bathroom), then wander around the town until the train arrived. By this time, I was unmotivated to walk back – I was tired, and it would be dark by the time I arrived if I walked. I found the train station without too much trouble, but the bathroom was another story. There were no “WC” signs, and all the doors were locked when I went around the building. All except for one, which when I entered, a woman looked at me funny so I said “bathroom”, and she said, “this is a private residence”. Oops. (I guess I should have known better, I had previously seen ads for renting space above the train station). I saw people walking into the grocery store a block away, so I tried that next even though I knew the store was closed. It turned out that there was a tea-room in the same building. And a bathroom! So, I bought this fantastic chocolate dessert and sat there for a while to warm up. The train came once per hour, so I decided to walk around the town for about half an hour and then catch the next train back.
St-Prex is a cute little town with a church that was originally built in 652 AD and a town wall erected in 1234. This is the original north gate to the wall. It was a good end to my afternoon trip.
I came back to the apartment, talked to Ken for a while, made some chicken-zucchini Thai curry for dinner, and am attempting to get caught up on pictures and what I need to do next week since it’s my last week here. The time has gone really fast, as I expected it would.



